Offender: Rondie Lamont Walz

Rape

Date: 12/02/06

Magazine Sales Company: Pacific Coast Clearing Services

Location: Claremont, California

 

Click here to display mug shot of : Rondie Lamont Walz:

http://www.travelingsalescrews.info/images/rondie lamont walz.jpg

 

-------------------------------------------

Officer on Case: Corp. Robert Rauchfuss

Claremont, California police department

Case Number: 06-4264

Status: Convicted

 

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_5484058

 

 

Salesman found guilty of rape

Article Launched: 03/21/2007 01:00:00 AM PDT

 

Article Launched: 03/21/2007 01:00:00 AM PDT

 

POMONA - A traveling magazine salesman was convicted on Tuesday of raping a 20-year-old Claremont woman.

Rondie Lamont Walz, 22, is scheduled to return to Pomona Superior Court on Thursday to be sentenced.

 

Walz knocked on the door of the woman's Wheaton Avenue home on Dec. 2 while selling subscriptions.

 

She allowed him inside and after chatting for a few minutes, the man tried to kiss her. When she rebuffed him, he dragged her to another room and forced himself upon her.

 

- Rod Leveque, (909) 483-9325

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4768404

 

 

Woman raped by man posing as door-to-door salesman

Article Launched: 12/04/2006 08:02:50 AM PST

 

 

CLAREMONT - A man going door-to-door pretending to sell magazine subscriptions raped a woman in her home late Saturday, police said.

Police came to the woman s home in the 1900 block of Wheaton Avenue at 5:50 p.m. The woman said the man came to her door and persuaded her to let him inside so she could fill out paperwork.

 

The man attacked and raped the woman in her home, police said.

 

Other neighborhood residents said the man came to their door trying to sell subscriptions. He was seen in the area of Scripps Drive and Wheaton Avenue on days preceding the rape, police said.

 

Police said the man is white, 20 to 25 years old and 5-feet-7 to 5-feet-9-inches tall. He is about 150 pounds and has short brown hair. He wore a light yellow polo shirt and long dark shorts.

 

Anyone in the area who may have purchased a magazine subscription from a door-to-door salesman is asked to contact Claremont detectives at (909) 399-5411.

 

------------------------------

 

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4779137

 

Magazine salesman suspected in Claremont rape

By Wes Woods II, Staff Writer

Article Launched: 12/05/2006 12:00:00 AM PST

 

 

Related Articles

Mar 21:

Salesman found guilty of rape Jan 25:

Traveling salesman to be tried on sex charges Jan 12:

Door to door magazine salesman pleads not guilty to rape Dec 5:

Claremont rape suspect arrested Dec 4:

Woman raped by man posing as door-to-door salesman

 

 

 

CLAREMONT - A tree-lined neighborhood in this usually quiet city was on alert Monday after a woman was raped Saturday by a door-to-door salesman.

Claremont police received a call at 5:50 p.m. Saturday reporting a rape in the 1900 block of Wheaton Avenue, a Claremont Police Department press release reported.

 

Claremont police Lt. Paul Davenport said the call to the department at 5:50 p.m. was not from the victim, but he did not reveal who called them.

 

No suspects were in custody Monday, but Davenport said police had "some promising stuff" to follow up on Monday evening.

 

When Claremont police went to the home Saturday, the victim verified she had been sexually assaulted.

 

According to police, the man went to the front door of the victim's residence and tried to sell her magazine subscriptions. He was able to convince the woman to let him enter the home to fill out paperwork. Once he was inside, the man attacked the woman and sexually assaulted her.

 

The suspect, who police believe is a legitimate door-to-door salesman, is described as a white man who is about 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighing about 150 pounds. He is 20 to 25 years old with short brown hair and was

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4779137

 

Magazine salesman suspected in Claremont rape

By Wes Woods II, Staff Writer

Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Article Launched:12/05/2006 12:00:00 AM PST

 

CLAREMONT - A tree-lined neighborhood in this usually quiet city was on alert Monday after a woman was raped Saturday by a door-to-door salesman.

Claremont police received a call at 5:50 p.m. Saturday reporting a rape in the 1900 block of Wheaton Avenue, a Claremont Police Department press release reported.

 

Claremont police Lt. Paul Davenport said the call to the department at 5:50 p.m. was not from the victim, but he did not reveal who called them.

 

No suspects were in custody Monday, but Davenport said police had "some promising stuff" to follow up on Monday evening.

 

When Claremont police went to the home Saturday, the victim verified she had been sexually assaulted.

 

According to police, the man went to the front door of the victim's residence and tried to sell her magazine subscriptions. He was able to convince the woman to let him enter the home to fill out paperwork. Once he was inside, the man attacked the woman and sexually assaulted her.

 

The suspect, who police believe is a legitimate door-to-door salesman, is described as a white man who is about 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighing about 150 pounds. He is 20 to 25 years old with short brown hair and was last seen wearing long, dark-colored shorts with a light yellow polo shirt.

 

Another description from residents was that he wore black clothing, a black baseball cap and was a "skinny" white male who was about 20 years old.

 

Before the assault, the man was seen in the area of Wheaton Avenue and Scripps Drive.

 

On Monday, residents in the neighborhood were still in shock about the rape.

 

"Nothing like this has ever happened to us or in this neighborhood or down the street," said Sylvia Balcorta, 45, who has lived in the 1900 block of Wheaton for 17 years with her husband and children. She said she has heard of people breaking into cars but nothing as serious as rape.

 

Balcorta said a man who fit the police description attempted to sell her a magazine subscription Saturday.

 

He was clean-cut, between 21 and 22 years old and knocked on her door around 4 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, she said. He was a white male with light-colored, possibly green eyes and no facial hair.

 

Balcorta said she did not talk to the man for long because she, her family and some friends were watching the UCLA-USC football game on television.

 

"It was a bad time," she said. "I just kind of brushed him off." She said when they were talking he stopped talking to her and addressed her 14-year-old son as he walked by, which she found unusual.

 

"He said, 'How's it going?' Other people don't usually notice anything like that," she said.

 

Since the incident, she is trying to carefully observe anyone she sees walking in the area.

 

Doug Doepke, 67, a retired educator, said in his 30 years living in the neighborhood, he had never heard of any crimes taking place there.

 

"We get a lot of solicitors," Doepke said, adding he was not approached at his home by the suspect. "It wouldn't have been unusual to have someone." Doepke said now anyone who is soliciting in the area will be looked at with more scrutiny.

 

Matt Bohlka, 23, a Citrus College student who lives with his father in the neighborhood, said he did not get a knock on the door Saturday.

 

Police questioned him Saturday night and put a flier about the incident on his door Sunday, he said.

 

This is not the first time a rape has happened in Claremont. In July 2002, a 52-year-old Claremont woman was sexually assaulted at her home on Baughman Drive.

 

Christopher Bruce Overby was convicted of attempted murder, burglary, arson, sodomy and robbery, and sentenced to 37 years to life in May 2003.

 

The woman was asleep before Overby beat and sexually assaulted her in her home. He then tied her with bedsheets, lit her bed on fire and fled the scene with stolen jewelry, court testimony said. She freed herself from her bindings and escaped from her burning home.

 

Police are still interested in talking to anyone who purchased magazines in the area on or near Saturday, Davenport said. Police are looking for a copy of any receipt given, he said.

 

The Claremont Detective Bureau can be reached by calling (909) 399-5411.

 

Staff writer Wes Woods II can be reached by e-mail at wes.woods@dailybulletin.com, or by phone at (909) 483-9378.

 

  -------------------------------

 

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4781215

 

 

Claremont rape suspect arrested

Melissa Pinion-Whitt, Staff writer

Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Article Launched:12/05/2006 07:48:05 AM PST

 

CLAREMONT - A door-to-door salesman who is suspected of raping a woman in her home has been captured by police in Norwalk, investigators said today.

Leads from the victim and neighbors helped police locate the suspect, 22-year-old Rondie Lamont leland Walz, who has addresses in Gig Harbor, Wash., and Reno, Nev.

 

Police said Walz was working with a group of people going door-to-door selling magazine subscriptions in Claremont on Saturday. They said he went to a home in the 1900 block of Wheaton Avenue where he convinced the 20-year-old victim to let him inside her home to fill out paperwork.

 

Police said he raped her inside the home.

 

Police investigated the case throughout the weekend and eventually found the employees late Monday. They found him down in Norwalk where the group of salesmen relocated, said Claremont Police Lt. Eric Winchell.

 

The magazine salesmen, who were at a motel, were brought down to the Los Angeles County sheriff s Norwalk station for questioning.

 

Walz was arrested at 10:25 p.m. on suspicion of rape and kidnapping with the intent to commit rape, police said. The victim identified Walz as her assailant.

 

Police took Walz to the Claremont Police Department where he was booked and held in lieu of $1 million bail.

 

He is expected to be arraigned Wednesday in Pomona Superior Court.

 

------------------------------

 

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4997616

 

Door to door magazine salesman pleads not guilty to rape 

Article Launched:01/12/2007 12:00:00 AM PST

 

POMONA - A traveling magazine salesman pleaded not guilty on Thursday to charges he raped a Claremont woman inside her home.

Rondie Lamont Walz, 22, will return to Pomona Superior Court on Jan. 24 for a preliminary hearing.

 

Prosecutors said Walz was inside the 20-year-old woman's home on Wheaton Avenue completing paperwork when he forced himself on her early last month.

 

The charges against him include rape and kidnapping for rape, which could land him in prison for life if he's convicted.

 

- Rod Leveque, (909) 483-9325

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_5081743

 

 

Traveling salesman to be tried on sex charges

Man forced himself on them, women say

By Rod Leveque, Staff Writer

Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Article Launched:01/25/2007 12:00:00 AM PST

 

POMONA - A traveling magazine salesman must stand trial on charges he raped one woman and sexually battered another, a judge ruled Wednesday.

The ruling came after the judge heard testimony from both women describing their encounters with 22-year-old Rondie Lamont Walz.

 

A San Pedro woman said she was buying a subscription from Walz on Nov. 27 when he entered her home without permission and kissed and groped her.

 

The second woman testified she invited Walz inside her Claremont home on Dec. 2, where he then dragged her to another room and raped her.

 

The 20-year-old said she repeatedly told him to stop during the rape, but he did not relent.

 

"He said, `When I'm done you're going to thank me,"' the woman testified.

 

Walz, of Gig Harbor, Wash., is charged in Pomona Superior Court with three felony counts related to the attacks, as well as kidnapping to commit rape and misdemeanor sexual battery.

 

He faces life in prison if convicted as charged.

 

He appeared in court for his preliminary hearing on Wednesday shackled in chains and dressed in a blue jail jumpsuit.

 

He sat quietly throughout the hearing as his accusers described their encounters with him to Judge Bruce Marrs.

 

Both women said Walz came to their doors selling magazines.

 

The first woman testified she told Walz to wait outside her home while she went inside to get her checkbook. She said he followed her inside anyway and tried to kiss and grab her. She said he ran when she spurned his advances and pushed him away.

 

The Claremont woman said she had no such luck.

 

She testified she let Walz come into her house on Wheaton Avenue because he asked for a countertop to write on and he "seemed like a nice guy."

 

After chatting for a few minutes, Walz told her she was "beautiful" and tried to kiss her on the neck, she said.

 

When she rebuffed him, she said, he grabbed her by the arm and dragged her through her kitchen into her living room. She said she couldn't stop him because her kitchen has hardwood floors and she was wearing socks on her feet.

 

"He was just stronger than I was," she testified.

 

He eventually pushed her on the couch, held her down and raped her, she said.

 

When he was done he used her bathroom for a few minutes and left, she said.

 

She said she was scared and didn't know what to do, so she called two friends.

 

One of them immediately called police.

 

Both of the woman's parents watched from the courtroom gallery - only about 15 feet from the accused rapist - as she described the attack.

 

She broke down in tears once during her testimony, prompting the judge to declare a brief recess.

 

After hearing the testimony, Marrs ruled prosecutors have sufficient evidence to try Walz on the five counts.

 

Walz will return to court Feb. 7 to be arraigned. He remains jailed in lieu of $3.3 million bail.

 

  -------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.claremont-courier.com/archives/3-24%20court%20case.doc

 

 

Subject: Walz sentenced

Writer: Tony Krickl

Publication Date: March 24, 2007

Headline: Walz sentenced to 18 years

 

 

      On Tuesday, Rondie Lamont Walz, 22, was found guilty by a jury on 3 felony counts in connection with the rape of a 20-year-old Claremont resident. Two days later, the Pomona courthouse judge sentenced Mr. Walz to 18 years in a state prison with no possibility of parole.

 

      Mr. Walz made a brief statement on Thursday in which he reiterated that he was not a sexual predator or a danger to society. His defense throughout the trial was that the encounter between himself and the victim was a consensual act. At no time did Mr. Walz apologize to his victim or her family.

 

      Corp. Robert Rauchfuss of the Claremont police department who handled the case said that the collaborative effort involved in bringing Mr. Walz to justice was helpful throughout the trial.

 

      “It was a great team effort between the police department, the district attorney’s office and citizens who helped us out a lot,” said Corp. Rauchfuss. “The family of the victim was also very helpful and cooperative.”

 

      Before the judge announced his decision of the sentence, both the victim and her mother addressed the courtroom, making “powerful and emotional” statements.

 

      Speaking at the podium with her family nearby, the victim described to the court how the incident impacted her and negatively affected her life.  She described how she has become suspicious of others, especially those she does not know.  Her mother then spoke about how her once “upbeat and trusting” daughter had changed. She said that her daughter repeatedly had flashbacks about the incident and how she lost her sense of trust.

 

      On December 9, Mr. Walz, a door-to-door salesman, was walking through the streets of Claremont, trying to sell magazines. Eventually, he came across the victim’s house and talked his way into her home under the pretense that he needed to write down some information on a counter. Once inside, Mr. Walz dragged the victim into the living room of the home and allegedly forced himself upon her.

 

Mr. Walz will spend at least the next 15 years in a California state prison, deputy district attorney for Los Angeles County Samer Hathout said, because crimes involving violent felonies require perpetrators to carry out at least 85 percent of their sentence. Mr. Walz will also be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

 

 

 

— Tony Krickl